What are some different activities that I can structure to create an entrepreneurial mind, social intelligence or aptitude, and emotional intelligence for my 12-year-old son?
- Get him to use his hands as much as he can. He needs to learn its cool and awesome to *make* things. Electronics, clay, food, whatever… its all in the process of building something that didn’t exist.
- Let him come up with a mini-business plan and earn his pocket money. An entitlement mentality is the worst burden parents usually impose on their children.
- Get him to read. Lots! Period.
- Help him create a group of kids his own age for some non-sports activity… help him learn the concepts of “Initiative” and “natural leadership”. I say non-sports because sports awards disproportionate advantage to physical attributes.
- Get him to make his own decisions. Sit down with him at the end of the day/week and revie how each decision went. The most successful people are usually those that can take feedback, reflect and course-correct on an auto-pilot mode.